Sunday, March 24, 2019

Scott Coffey and the D155 School Board Election

It's election season again, and people who should not be anywhere near a school board are running to get a seat on the District 155 school board.

Here's what I can tell you. I am not a fan of Scott Coffey. I was involved in the debacle at District 26 years ago. During that time, the Cary schools were attacked and the education of our kids suffered.

  • Art classes were eliminated
  • Music classes were eliminated
  • PE teachers were let go, forcing classroom teachers to teach "gym"
  • Class sizes were s high as 35 kids
  • Parents were angry. I talked to so many parents that were thinking about leaving Cary altogether. Many took their kids out of d26, actually.

It was a debacle. And Scott Coffey had a hand in it.

My oldest was in the Cary schools at that time. And, as many parents, I was so concerned about the lack of specials. As a result, parents volunteered their time to come in and teach lessons on art to Cary students.

I did that. I took personal time to teach my son art in his elementary school classroom.

All because some people are confused about fiscal responsibility. In any school board, the responsibility FIRST should be the kids. And this was not what happened.

Specials are back in d26. But the stain of this remains. Justified or not, people do not look to the Cary schools like they did before. Teacher retention is low. It takes a long time to recover from such mismanagement.

And now Scott Coffey is comparing the situation in d155 to d26, echoing the same rhetoric from a decade ago.  And it is simply not true.

And the effects of a Coffey-led agenda would be devastating on d155.

To be honest, I do not know anything about Meghan Tillson and Jacob Justen. However, since they have aligned themselves with Coffey tells me that they, too, should be avoided at all costs.

I know, I know. Some people are going to look at this and say, "Well, he's a teacher and he's biased." I am a teacher.

And I am biased in favor of public education. As a taxpayer I believe that our schools are our biggest asset. And any attempt to balance budgets on the backs of kids is the wrong way to go about managing school budgets in a responsible way.

Scott Coffey is not what d155 needs.








No comments:

Post a Comment