Monday, August 15, 2011

Fuzzy Math and Death Star Plans---My Thoughts on Tonight's Board Meeting

Chris Spoerl, D26 Board President:
Not a fan of "youtubes"

Just got back from tonight's Community Engagement Committee meeting.  Standing room only, folks.  That was great to see.  However, it was painfully clear that Board President Chris Spoerl was not happy with the videos posted on this site.  He said so.   However, I think he called them "youtubes," actually.

For a large portion of the meeting, we were all entranced by Mr. Spoerl's powerpoint regarding the current state of negotiations.  Fortunately, he never had the opportunity to finish it because there were people smarter in the room than him.  They helped point out all of the mistakes contained on those slides. 

Apparently, the board's position in regard to the current state of financial affairs is based on projections that are not rooted in reality.  And, they were not up-to-date with the last offer made by the teachers either.  But really, can we expect any better with a financial director accused of making a $1.5 million error on the audit for Huntley School District 158?  The biggest problem with schools today is not the teachers, as this board would have you believe, but the mediocre administrators who get "re-gifted" from district to district after less-than-stellar performances.

Truthfully, I am not actually sure what was on those slides.  I was standing in the back, near the door---but I think they might have been plans to Death Star.  You know, the plans Princess Leia hid in R2D2.  They could have been, for all anyone knew.  And for a moment there, board member Floyd Myers looked a little like Obi Wan Kenobi. It was a surreal.  As the board was clearly growing agitated by the crowd's attempt to correct them with facts,  I was expecting light sabers to emerge at any minute.  Or, I was hoping.  That would have been really cool.  Especially since Yoda was there.

I don't know who he was, but he was a man of wisdom.  He stood on the side of the room and clearly had experience in negotiations and the arbitration process.  He gave an unbiased assessment of the situation in District 26.  Basically, he said, the facts weren't straight.  And there was no trust.  Bingo!

But Spoerl was not going to let Yoda destroy his presentation, that was for sure.  Like the trooper he was, Spoerl always went back to the slides.  Not answering the questions or points made about the info on the slides, mind you.  It always seemed that as he tried to bring attention back to his slides, he was just hoping that people would forget that he was in the room.

As I gather my thoughts for the next "Rant," I thought this video best summarizes Chris Spoerl's attempt at a Powerpoint Presentation:



All I can say to the Board of Education is this:  Less powerpoints and more action.  Show the community that you are willing to negotiate.

That was something the teachers proved tonight.

Now, it's your turn. 

Again, I was really glad to see the turnout. We need more on Monday for the regular Board Meeting.  Don't give up on our teachers.  That is what the Board is hoping you will do.

Peace, love and happiness,

Drew Madigan

12 comments:

  1. This spoof was not-so-spoof... The Cary 26 Community Engagement presentation by Mr. Spoerl, Cary BOE president, on Monday the 15th was every bit as boring and inaccurate as you have indicated. Spoerl could learn a few things from your "educational" presentation. In fact, the BOE could learn a few things from the audience's questions and thoughts. The real test as to whether they did will be their actions! Don't stop the videos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you mention the name of "yoda"...why don't you publicize that you're a teacher yourself and have a vested interest in continuing the fleecing of the taxpayers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Anonymous---
    I have publicized that I am a teacher. No secret there. All you need to do is click on my name. Should I wear a sign? How about one of those sandwich boards I can wear all of the time? Perhaps you would like it tattooed on my forehead? One thing to be clear, however. I am not a teacher in District 26. I am a parent AND a tax payer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? Why are you hiding behind a pseudonym? Where is the statement on this blog that you're a highly paid teacher...I notice that in the "about the drew" blurb there's nothing there...nor is there anything about your wife (she DOES teach in D26 BTW)...why are you hiding that fact? Also, the fact that you'd been a union "negotiator" in your own district...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really, Anonymous at 8:52 am? You are complaining that I am hiding behind a pseudonym? Hhmmmm. "Anonymous" must be your name then. I feel sorry for you.

    I am not "hiding" behind a pseudonym. Mark Twain's actual name was Samuel Clemens. Was he hiding? The Founding Fathers who wrote the Federalist Papers did not use their real names. Alexander Hamilton wrote as "Publius." And little-known founder Abraham Yates went by "Rough Hewer." Now that's a good pseudonym! The use of pseudonyms has a long and vibrant history.

    Plus, Madigan is kind of funny. Mad-again, get it?

    And another thing. Yes, I am a teacher. You got me there. Oh, no. My cover is blown by your tremendous sleuthing abilities.

    But no, my wife is not a teacher (you failed there). She has never been a teacher. In fact, she is a stay-at-home Mom. (The best Mom, in my opinion. The kids just love her to death. And so do I).

    So, try to get your facts straight, please. And if you post here again, please use a better pseudonym than "anonymous." That's way overused. And more than a little bland.

    I have a suggestion for you. How about "Rough Hewer?" That hasn't been used in over 200 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fleece the taxpayers? Is that what you really think of our teachers? I have an idea, why not move your family to a quality district, like say, East St. Louis, where they don't have them newfangled pricey and edumacated teachers, and celebrate your children's success! And seriously, why hide your name? Are you ashamed of your beliefs? Stand up and be proud of your convictions, even if they are asinine.

    Joe Alfe, but my real name is Han Plural

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Han Plural." lol.

    I hate it when people hide behind "anonymous."

    Oh, wait. Ooops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I truly believe the people who criticize teachers and blame this whole financial screw-up on them, clearly don't have the cajones to actually step foot into a classroom and try to teach. Kids today are not easy to teach. I consider myself a good teacher (I do not work in D26) and somedays, I walk out of one class feeling like I've run a marathon trying to keep my middle schoolers engaged in instruction. The fact of the matter is, the Board is refusing to negotiate and wants to take away raises the teachers earned and deserved, while never committing to reducing the outrageous salaries the adminstrative staff is given. Isn't that always the story?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Drew, I am proud to know you as a Parent, and Cary homeowner! I also like the fact that your a 'teacher' since we have so much to learn. Your style is engaging to say the least. I might add refreshing.
    As far as annonymous...your a little goofy, watch what you say here, a lawyer might be watching..that might cause a lot more stir than your disapproval of Drew Madigan. We have the right to earn what is allowed , we also have the right to question public office decisions. So Stir the pot and get the Negotiations back on track for a solution, not a roadblock! Peace out. J. Thomas Cary resident for 22 years, father of 2 and hardworking Taxpayer...That is all I got to rant...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this site. LOL

    Funny how all of these "taxpayers" that are being fleeced are upset by the teacher pay, but not the Administration pay. Especially since the very fact of the matter is that 3 of our top 4 administrators are inexperienced and less educated than their counterparts in other districts (though, they are making comparable pay/benefits). There is also an Operations Coordinator...who does some of the work that Coleman is supposed to be doing. In fact, if you look at the Administration building closely, you'll see all kinds of nice, fat cuts that can happen!

    I can't wait to see your next video...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. @anonymous. It sure is a lot easier to personally attack someone than to be able to intelligently defend your position, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, my first visit and all I can say is.....THANKS! For all the "teachers" out there! For standing up and making the hard truth vibrant so people look at is and really see it.
    I do not teach in your state or even anywhere near you...but the B.S. is B.S. in any state these days.
    To your Darth Vadar.....keep "passing the buck" it is what you types do best.
    Much love to you and the fam-bam,
    Jeni (PROUD teacher in Hawaii)

    ReplyDelete